Wednesday 20 March 2013

NUMERO 25. Mi Abuela


I love my grandmother Fanny (yes, that's her name) immensely. For me she's a statement of determination, strength and love. Her story is not different to many others, but she is an inspiration to me not only because she's my grandma, but more than anything as a woman.

Fanny was married off at the tender age of 13 to my grandfather, who was 22 at the time. By the age of 25 she was the mother of six children. When she was 30 my grandfather decided to shack
up somewhere else, and left her to support the kids by herself. She was facing a divorce, something quite scandalous for the Colombian society of the 50s. From housewife she turned to farming, becoming one of the first female farmers in the region. She had cattle, rice, peanut, soy and I'm not sure what else. Like this she supported her kids through their education.
She ran her farm on horseback until her age and health allowed her to do so. She's now 87 years old, she had 6 children, 4 surviving, 9 grandchildren and at the moment 12 great grandchildren.

I can't wait to show it to her. I hope she likes it!

Mi Abuela. 40x30cm, oil on canvas.





No comments:

Post a Comment