Thursday 15 November 2012

NUMERO 18. My first portrait

I have been working on portraiture at school, the guinea pig for this first attempt was my darling husband Michael. I'm hope he doesn't mind being drawn over and over again until I can get closer to capturing his face! I think that in the final product he looks a bit fat, but the resemblance is there, that is Michael.

The process to get the portrait working is long and frustrating (well, for me it was). I took pictures of most of the stages, I find it quite interesting how it came together.

A 3 tonal drawing is done on the subject. 

After understanding the light source and how it affects
the object, we can move onto the canvas.

I drew Michael all over again, as I wasn't very pleased
with my tonal study, I knew I could do better.


After the drawing is ready, we can start applying colour.
Here his jacket and background. 
Now his face is very scary to look at. There's no real colour added
to his skin yet, the important part of the exercise is to understand the different tonal values of his head. Here we work with 6 tones. All the canvas should be covered.
Funny fact: blue eyes are hardly blue. Here they are too blue.


After the canvas has been totally covered we can start looking at
the warmth of the skin and the subtleties of the light and tone on the subject.

Warmer face.

And here it is. My first portrait.




No comments:

Post a Comment